31.3.08

Moonwalk

Almost got into a collision with a woman driving a mini van this morning. I was flying down a hill fading right to merge into the next road. I was probably twenty yards from the intersection and in the bike lane (one of the few in Halifax)and closing the gap quickly. A woman in a grey mini van sped around me and slammed on the brakes right in front of me. I pulled on the brakes hard trying to feather the front brake so as not to go over the bars, she was looking at oncoming traffic and had no idea I was there. At the last minute I was able to swerve right and make the merge. I thought about stopping and giving her a mouthful but I opted for the finger instead. She probably thought I was just another asshole cyclist with a chip on me shoulder. That may be the case but I still had the right of way. Just about everyone I know whose commuted by bike for long periods of time has been hit by a car. It's only a matter of time I guess and I'm not looking forward to it.


check out this little clip about awareness -from a UK bike advocacy group

1 comment:

Foul Pete said...

I swear its a war out there sometimes... The modern American (I know you are in Canada and I hope its better) City is just set up to pit us against each other depending on our mode of transport...