6.10.06

Ecological Footprint Test


According to the Earth Day Network “WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.”

I took the footprint test and I need 7.5 global hectares of biologically productive land to live. I tried to be as honest with the test as I could be.

It goes on to say that if everyone lived the way I do, we would need 4.5 earths to have sufficient resources.

Sometimes crunching numbers like this is almost too abstract to really hit home for most of us. But the bottom line is that we are taking way to much (those of us in the West) and resources are running out. What do we do? There are a million little things we can all do everyday. It’s not rocket science. We all need to consume less. More importantly, we need to finally realize that happiness does not come from things, and maybe then we won’t feel the need to continue buying to make ourselves feel better.

Want to see what your ecological footprint is?

Click here.

No comments: